12 April 2016

Support

Such a complex word, owning SO MANY definitions. It's a verb and a noun. It's origin is to carry from below. What does it mean to me? It means the world. It means confidence. It means being able to reach my goals. It means life and freedom. I don't need the origin version of the word. I need the second verb definition: give approval, comfort, or encouragement to. In some ways I know that I'm too black and white. I KNOW there is a grey area. This space in between, where maybe people care, maybe they don't. Maybe they just don't want to invest in it. When I feel like I'm lacking in support from someone I don't just feel like I'm lacking their support, I feel the neglect and abandonment. That's not their fault. That's on me. I need to accept that.

So, here's my promise to myself. No more black and white. If someone doesn't want to, or isn't going to support me in the positive choices I'm trying to make that is their CHOICE and I cannot take that away from them. I need to do my best to support them in spite of their choice. They aren't responsible for the choices I am making in MY life. The job of my loved ones is to support my positive choices by showing encouragement and approval. We cannot count on others to do their jobs, only on ourselves.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Beautifully spoken from the heart and full of truth, my awesome friend.